Skip to main content

Making My Way Back

Do you ever have those days when you get home and you feel about as clean as a port-a-potty?

That was me. Last night. Well, technically this morning.

A long day of traveling will do that for you.

It didn't help that the day before I traveled from Branson, MO -> St. Louis, MO -> Branson, MO, and stopped in Uranus.

(They had a fudge factory! We had to stop. Wouldn't you?)

See. I felt gunky from all of that traveling.

However, I finally made it back to Utah late last night. Hooray! (That's where I currently live.) I was in Missouri for my cousin's wedding.

It was a jam-packed weekend, as most adventurous weekends are.

(Have you ever wondered where the saying "jam-packed"comes from? Is it from the fruit--jelly and jam?)

I'll start from near the end, just to give you a sense of how long I traveled, and why I came back feeling so gross.

Branson, or Ridgedale--which is where I stayed--is something like 4 miles north of the Arkansas border. Yesterday morning, I left the house I was staying at in Ridgedale, drove up to the Smallin Civil War Cave in Ozark, MO, and then went to the Wilson's Creek National Battlefield in Republic, MO. From there, I would make my way down to Little Rock, AR for my flight west.

Here's a little map to give you an idea of my trip. The red line at the bottom indicates the Missouri-Arkansas border.

That line is important, y'see. There I was, on my way south, just outside of Branson, when a kind Missouri state trooper decided I needed a souvenir from Missouri. He wanted to make sure I had something to remember my trip by.

That's right, folks. I got a ticket.

I will say, he was speedy about it, too! 😄 (My last ticket left me waiting for ages for the trooper to come back. Not that I get tickets often.)

He asked where I was headed, I told him the airport in Little Rock (3 hours away). He followed up by asking what time my flight was. I think that may have helped him be faster about it, OR he's such a pro at giving tickets, because what else is there to do in the middle of nowhere? (Kidding, kidding, Missourians!)

While I sat in my car waiting, I was tidying up a bit. Figured to optimize my time and get ready to return it to the rental car place. In the cup holder, I had an unopened bottle of Dr. Pepper. I have to be in a certain mood for soda, and I definitely wasn't at that point--that's another story, though. I knew that I couldn't take it past airport security, either, but I didn't want it to go to waste. So I had this brilliant idea to offer it to the trooper as "thanks, have a nice day!" (Everyone needs some kindness, right?)

Ok. And I was kind of hoping he'd be nice and let me off with a warning so I could continue on my merry little way. I'd had a lot of bad luck this weekend, so I was hoping for something positive.

...didn't work.

The trooper came back with my ticket, and he explained everything very quickly, and before I could even get a word out to offer the soda, he had already turned and walked away. I wasn't about to shout at him to come back and offer him a soda!

I was left with my unopened soda...and a ticket to pay. Hoo. Ray.

About an hour down the road, I was thinking of that stinkin' soda. It was rattling around in my cup holder, almost taunting me. Fine. I decided I would be able to drink it before I reached the airport.

I grabbed it from the center console, set it between my legs, and began to twist the top.

...then it exploded on me! 😂

It had been jostling around in the cup holder, I knew it and yet I completely forgot! So, instead of hoping to drink the soda in two hours, I got to hope my pants dried in two hours! Haha

It's ok when life doesn't go as you plan. That's what makes it such a wonderful adventure. Learn to laugh through the struggles, and you'll have a lot more fun.

But you can understand why, when I finally got to my apartment, I felt particularly icky. 😄

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wild, Wild West

This weekend's adventure? Find an old western town. My roommate is starting to plan her new book--a western. She typically does Regency, so this new genre requires research. What better place than Utah to do it? She heard Park City began as a western town, and still had a historic area, so we decided to hop on over the mountain to check it out. We went, only to find that while the structures are old, the content of the buildings are modern. I'm not entirely surprised--it is a ski resort town. ...that seems to have most businesses on spring break for the month of April to mid-May... All in all, there wasn't much for us to do. They do have a silver mine, which we were hoping to explore, however, they apparently closed it down to guests in 2015. So it was a bust for our purposes. The day was still young, so we crossed the valley, to check out another mining town, but made a quick stop in Saltair--which is also closed for the season until May 1. Now,

Silver Lake and Donut Falls

It was super hot down in the valley, and my roommate wanted to go do something. Woohoo! I am always up for an adventure! The question was, however, do we go to the salt flats or go up into the mountains? ...I was already really hot--ok, and it was only about 86 degrees outside, but it was hot --so I voted for the mountains. My roommate then voted for her favorite spot: Silver Lake. I was good with that decision because it is a high location--up by Brighton ski resort--and I just really wanted to see how the spring melt looked coming down the mountain. Y'see, as you wind your way through the mountains, more often than not, you drive along streams. It's particularly beautiful in the Alpine Loop down by Timpanogas. (I'm going to be taking that drive soon-ish, I hope.) I wanted to see how it looked in early spring. First Stop: Silver Lake   Well, the mountains haven't received the memo that it's spring--which I'm totally ok with! We got up to Silver Lake